Monday, May 24, 2010

GERRARD: THIS COULD BE MY LAST WORLD CUP

STEVEN GERRARD admits that he will take stock on his international career in the summer.

Winning the greatest prize in the game may lead to him wondering whether he can achieve any more in an England shirt.

There is genuine fear in Gerrard's voice when he talks about South Africa being his last World Cup, worried he will miss out on Brazil at the age of 33.

For that reason, he is leaving nothing to chance, one of Fabio Capello's key players as England prepare to travel to the tournament.

He continually assesses his career, working out a way to win the World Cup with England just as a glorious period at Anfield draws to a close.

Gerrard said: "My thinking is to make the most of this World Cup because it could be my last. I turn 30 in a week and you never know what will happen down the line.

"I've never considered finishing for England, but a lot of the players are coming to an age where they will have three or four weeks' holiday after the World Cup to consider their next move.

"A lot depends on how well we do in the World Cup and what the manager might be thinking, but a lot of it might be taken out of our hands. When you get to 30, it's an age where I would consider, internationally, what I am going to do moving forward and also what I have achieved.

"I don't want to step out of this level of football if we haven't achieved something. If we do really well, it might influence my thinking, but I haven't given it much thought.
"I'm guessing this could be my last World Cup. With the standard of players behind me, I wonder whether I would be good enough to hold down a place in the 23.

"I have to think about that but, thankfully, I am fit and able to be involved, pushing for a place in this year's squad.

"I want to make the most of this World Cup in case it's the last one."

No comments:

Post a Comment