Monday, May 24, 2010

GERRARD: MY NAGGING HAS PAID OFF

STEVEN GERRARD is delighted his nagging of Liverpool team-mate Jamie Carragher helped pave the way for the defender to rejoin the England fold.

The Reds skipper is relishing the prospect of pulling on the Three Lions in South Africa this summer.

And he will be there with his pal Carragher, club mates fighting for the England jersey again after the centre-back's unexpected return.

Gerrard played a significant part in Carragher's decision, convincing him to come out of international retirement after three years in deep freeze.

They were together again in Austria this week, taking part in various sessions designed to build unity before tomorrow's World Cup warm-up against Mexico at Wembley.

Gerrard added: "I'm pleased for him but also myself because of all the work I put in to try to change his mind.

"I spoke to him all the time, from the moment he took the decision to step down from the squad.

"I told him to take his time, but I always wanted him here because he's a top player.

"I play with him every day at Liverpool, in training and in matches. He keeps it all together.

"As a player, I always respect what another professional decides to do because people have different thoughts and feelings.

"At the time, Jamie thought he was doing the best thing for himself by stepping out of the squad.

"That was disappointing for me because he's a good friend and also a good player.

"Thankfully, he's now changed his mind.

"As a player looking forward to the World Cup, we want our best players available and he's one of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment