Sunday, November 22, 2009

SKRTEL REFLECTS ON BITTERSWEET DAY

Martin Skrtel admits the frustration of being held to a 2-2 draw by Manchester City at Anfield tempered the joy felt at scoring his debut goal for Liverpool on Saturday.
The commanding centre-back put the Reds into a deserved 50th minute lead against Mark Hughes' side when he edged in front of Emmanuel Adebayor to prod Steven Gerrard's free-kick beyond Shay Given.

It was Skrtel's first for Liverpool in 65 appearances, but the final outcome of the contest ensured it was a bittersweet afternoon for the Slovakian.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I was very happy to score my first goal for Liverpool. I have been waiting a long time for it, so it was a good moment for me.

"I am in my third season here and hadn't managed to score until today, but I hope this is the first of many more.

"But we are frustrated to have drawn again because we wanted to win. We couldn't in the end, and we are not happy because of this.

"There is nothing we can do about the result now and we have to look forward to the next game and try to win."

After Skrtel had opened the scoring, Liverpool were left stunned by City's quick-fire double as Adebayor and Stephen Ireland put the visitors into the lead before Yossi Benayoun salvaged a point for the Reds.

"I think we played well as a team and had a lot of possession in the first half," added Skrtel.

"After we scored our first goal, we tried to sit back and play on the counter-attack, but we conceded two goals quickly and couldn't believe it."

With Liverpool now set to travel to Budapest for the crucial Champions League encounter with Debrecen on Tuesday evening, Skrtel insists the Reds cannot afford to dwell on their City stalemate.

The 24-year-old said: "We now have a big game coming up on Tuesday, and as I said, we have to forget about today and start thinking about Debrecen because it is a game we have to win.

"I am looking forward to the game and if I am selected I will give my all to try and help us get a good result."

No comments:

Post a Comment